Practicum

DAY 22 - 25
September, 3rd - 6th
These four days were my turn to do the teaching in the classroom. I only got three classes to teach . They were 10BMHS (7.40 - 8.40), 10FJJ (14.50 - 15.50), and 10FJK (15.50 - 16.50). My lesson is Different Literary Types and Sensory Details. On Monday, my first class is at 10BMHS in the first period. These are my lesson plan, Common Learning Target, my slides during the practicum including the lesson, pre test and post test.

Common Learning Target
My lesson plan
Different Literary Types ppt
Sensory Details ppt
Pre test
Post test

Here are my procedures of teaching in the classroom
Opening
1-   When the teacher came to the classroom, all the students stood up and greeted the teacher.
S: ‘Good morning Miss Nia and to you teachers (since there were also Mrs. Postrano and the student teacher who does the practicum with me).
T: ‘Good Morning class’
Then one of the student would lead the prayer
T: ‘Take your seat,’
S: ‘Thank you Miss Nia’
2      T: ‘You’re welcome’
- -  The thing is they are not allowed to sit until the teacher says you’re welcome. It is the rule that was set in English class by Mrs. Postrano.
4-  Then I checked all the seats if they were all occupied. If there are empty seats, it means that there are students who are absent. Since they are seated based on their number, it is easy to find out which students is absent. Their sequence is put on the teacher’s table. The number of the seats in class generally is the same amount of the students in the class.

First day
1
- -  I gave them motivation first in a form of fill-in-the-blank. Motivation here is as a pre test before we begun the lesson to stimulate their memory because the lesson that I gave must have been learned before even though they were just pieces.  I gave them the clue then the next slide is the word with missing letters. There were 15 questions. This session took about 20 minutes. The media that I used only PowerPoint. I asked them to write their answers on their notebook.
  - Then, after the pre test done, I asked them to check their works by square style. They passed their works to the person next to them in square in the count of 5.
  -  I called out one by one to read the question and answer based on their friends’ work that they got.
4-  After checking the answers done, I asked the class ‘who got all correct?’ and so on. It is to make sure how many students have prior knowledge and how far their understanding about what we were going to discuss. That way, I would know how much I have to explain to them.
 -  Next after pre test session, I told them to prepare their notebook and take a note while I explained it. I started my presentation about different literary types. At the end of every part of literary type I made sure to check their understanding by giving them question then ask ‘any question so far?’ and sometime some students would tell me to slow down since they had to take notes, but my consideration was too many parts to give but too little time so I told them to be quick in taking notes. This session took about 30 minutes.
  -  At the end of the class, I told them to make their own free verse poetry and the next day I would check them.
  -   When the class ended, one of the student would lead the prayer
T: ‘Goodbye class.’
S: ‘Goodbye and thank you Miss Nia and to you teachers.’

Second day
1    
- -  I asked the class about the assignment of their own free verse poetry and weather they were ready or not.
  -  I called out one by one randomly to read their poetry in front of the class while I checked the others. This session took about 20 minutes.
  -  Then after that, I continued about my explanation from the day before and occasionally asked them about my explanation from the day before. This took about 30 minutes.
 -   The next session was game. They had to construct non-free verse poetries in a group. I divided them based on their seat row or column (since it was different arrangement in each class that I taught).  Each group consisted of 6 or 8 students. The students on the left row were the number ones (if its based on row) or the students at the first row were the number ones. So the number ones had to prepare the blank paper and wrote down the first line. Then they had to pass to the person next to them (if its in row) or behind them (if its in column) to continue the second line.  I gave them 1 minute for each person to finish their line. The rules were everyone stayed in their seat and their poetry had to follow the rules that were set like it had to be rhymed, the number of syllables among the lines had to be balanced, when I gave them the instruction to pass then they had to pass. So basically it was kind of like a poetry relay. And the last person had to submit it to me. It was quite fun and the students were like so noisy because they had to rush and thought at the same time and their friends were hollering to be quick.
  -  After the game session was done, it was my turn to give them the last assignment. I divided them into 8 groups because there were 8 parts of literary types (short story, drama, fiction, non-fiction, prose, poetry, essay, and journalism) that I had explained to them. I assigned them to make a presentation about the literary topic that they got. They had to make a comparison between two examples that they got. This assignment was for the next day so they had to work quickly.

Third day

1-   Since I already assigned them to prepare a presentation, now it was their turn to present their work in front of the classroom. I gave them 15 minutes to prepare first since they said it was not done yet. I told them to sit together with their group to finish.
2-  While they were discussing, I also did a brief explanation about the material that I had not delivered yet which was Sensory Details, some of them took notes while the others continued their work.
3-  After I was done explaining which actually took more than 15 minutes then I told them the rules. First, they were only given 7 minutes to do the presentation then there would be Q&A session and per group only could answer three questions.
4-  When they were doing the presentation I let the group that did the presentation to lead the class I just sat in the back and then gave comment of the presentation. This took about 40 minutes and only 4 groups could perform at that day

Fourth day
  
e -  We continued the presentation for the groups that had not yet performed and this took about 45 minutes.
 --   Then after all the presentations done, I gave them the post test and I already told them the day before that I would give them a test after the presentation based on my presentation. The test consisted of 10 questions essay and took about 15 minutes.








Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

School Profile: University of San Carlos, Cebu City, Philippines

Summary

Observation